Friday, July 13, 2007

JUNE 2007 Well, nothing much happened in June, I guess - at least not until the end of the month.
The major excitement was my retirement. I had not planned to retire, really, but I'd always said that when my boss retired, I would retire, too. Well, surprise, surprise - in February, my superintendent announced he would retire at the end of the school year. Being the secretary to the superintendent, I decided to follow him out the door. I loved my job, but I don't think I was ready to start all over again with a new superintendent. It is a challenge to learn the ways of your boss - to write correspondence as he would, to basically think like he thinks. To start over, trying to think like someone new again didn't sound like fun any more. And, I had only planned to work another 2-3 years, anyway. So, if I'd stayed, it is likely I would have left in the middle of this superintendent's tenure. That would be difficult. So, I walked out on 27 June 2007 for the last time - after 17 years. Weird!! I am on vacation through the month of July and my retirement officially begins on 1 August.
It was not easy leaving all my friends behind, because I know how difficult it is for me to make close friends. But, they are doing just fine without me and, surprisingly, I'm doing just fine, too.
Gary bought me roses to commorate the occasion and wrote "Welcome Home" on the card. That meant a lot - to know that he is happy that I retired. He is glad to have me home rather than working so many long hours! Other gifts included a rocking chair from the school district, a framed Thomas Kinkade print of a lighthouse from my coworkers, a pair of statues of children looking over the garden fence, bamboo wind chimes, books, sunglasses, photo album, dish (You're a gift), notes, tote bag, lunch with 3 close friends, among other things. Last, but certainly not least, my sister gave me a beautiful original painting of the view from the balcony of the former Sea Witch in Panama City Beach, which is threatened with extinction.
As you can see, the loot was good and, as it turns out, I haven't really looked back. I was invited back one day last week to do the morning devotional for the office prayer group, which I did. When everyone went back to work, I stayed to visit for a bit, but found I really don't fit in anymore. My office is occupied by someone else and all my friends are too busy working to visit. Plus, they are all involved in projects that no longer include me. So, that made it official. I'm on one side of the fence and they are on the other. And, I think I like my side better!
Happy Retirement to Me! :)


2 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

Yay Retirement! :) Congrats!

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, how did I miss this post? Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home