Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The End of a Great Vacation
We returned from our mountain trip on the 27th of July, but I'm just getting around to finishing up my blog. The motel had Wi-Fi/high speed internet access - I have snail-speed dial-up. It took 40 minutes to download 5 pictures today - it only took 4-5 minutes at the motel. Big difference. I guess that answers the question, "Why don't you keep your blog up-to-date?"
This was the parting shot of our motel. We really enjoyed our visit. The people were exceptionally nice; the view off our balcony was beautiful; the sound of the stream was soothing; the place had a cozy feel; and, the list goes on and on.
Before we headed for Gatlinburg, we stopped at the Mountineer Gift Shop for one last item. They have a deck behind the shop with a view of the peaceful stream.
On Hwy. 19 just outside of Maggie Valley, there is a 9-story observation tower that boasts "the most photographed view of the Smokies." Well, about 1/4 mile up the road, there is a parking lot with a higher elevation than the tower and the same great view. Being "thrifty" we stopped at the free parking lot and took our pictures of "the most photographed view of the Smokies."
On Hwy. 441 between Cherokee, NC, and Gatlinburg, there is a lookout with this exceptional view. Unfortunately, as you have probably noticed, the photographs just don't do the scenery justice. There's nothing like actually being there, I'm afraid, but that didn't stop me from taking 193 pictures while I was gone! (Aren't digital cameras terrific?)
I don't know what these flowers are, but they are all along the road in the lower elevations of the mountains. They look like an upside-down lily of some sort. They are also much more orange than they appear in the photo. I was fascinated by them! I will have to look them up in my book of wildflowers and see what they are.
I will do one last post of our short day in Gatlinburg, then, I guess that will be all until Mr. Baby makes his appearance sometime this month!

1 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mountains are lovely. I'm glad you had such a nice vacation!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home