Wednesday, August 01, 2007

This Is Really the End of a Great Vacation Gary surprised me by suggesting a stop in Gatlinburg on our way home from Maggie Valley, NC. I was sure he would want to high-tail it and get home, but he was in no hurry. Pleasant surprise!
After our ride through the mountains and once we found a parking place, we headed to Bennett's for lunch. This is probably our favorite place to eat in Gatlinburg - it must be, because it is always the first place we go! Gary had a birthday lunch of ribs - I had the more sensible barbecued grilled chicken.
Happy Birthday, Gary!!

These are the flowers out front at Bennetts. Again, I don't know what they are, but they were so vibrant (and plentiful)! I love flowers - maybe I should make it a point to learn to identify more of them, huh?
What a kidder, huh? Gary is always wanting me to do something goofy, or at least interesting, when he takes my picture, but I don't usually like to show off in front of the camera. Turn the camera off and I will be as goofy as can be, but in front of the camera, I'm usually pretty sedate. Gary, on the other hand, has to be told to quit goofing off so I can get a normal picture. I don't know what got into me this time! P.S. I'm not really falling into the creek. :)
It was a very hot and humid day on the Gatlinburg side of the mountains, unlike the Maggie Valley side. The temperatures in MV never topped 80 and we had two days in the 60's. You can tell by the damp spot on Gary's shirt that it was very hot and sticky when we took our walk through town. We didn't spend more than a couple hours in Gatlinburg, but it was enough to make us glad we went to Maggie Valley this time. We love Gatlinburg, but we love it when no one else is around and this time it was wall-to-wall people. This is the height of vacation season, so it has to be expected, but we like to visit when the place isn't so popular. So, after our nice lunch and a walk through town, we got back in the truck and headed home. We were back in our own surroundings by 8:30 p.m. - just like we'd never gone anywhere!

It was a beautiful vacation. Now, where to next?? My dad and I have reservations in Erie, PA, 10-13 August, but it depends on when Mr. Baby decides to arrive. I hope it works out that we can go, because 11 August is Dad's 65th high school reunion and I would hate for him to miss it. He might go for a weekend without me, but I'd like to go, too. We will see. Mr. Baby takes precedence!

Speaking of Mr. Baby, Whitney has been put on modified bed rest because of high blood pressure. She has a doctor appointment on Friday, 3 August, and hopes to hear the doctor say he will induce. If that happens, Mr. Baby will be born on his dad's birthday. I guess we will know more after her doctor appointment.
The next time you hear from me, I will be a grandma.

1 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They induced me for that 2 weeks early with Nick. My blood pressure wasn't THAT high, but it was going up and I had so much water retention/swelling that they went ahead and got him out. Aug. 3 is tomorrow, huh? How exciting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home