Sunday, September 17, 2006

Annual Grandma Hewitt Wiener Roast



Last night was the night of the Annual Grandma Hewitt Wiener Roast (AGHWR). This tradition was originally started by my Grandma Hewitt when I was little. Each year we would go to Pennsylvania to spend a week at Grandma and Grandpa's and once they moved to a place with a big yard, Grandma began having a wiener roast whenever we visited. That was the highlight of the whole trip for me! I loved the wiener roasts so much that as I got older and visited by myself or with my new husband (who is now my old husband! :), she would still make sure I had my WR.

Well, a few years ago, I decided to re-start the tradition. Grandma Hewitt had been gone for years at that time, but we live in the country and have plenty of space for a bonfire and lots of room for family and friends, so the tradition continues. Don't know why I didn't think of this years ago! I still love it and still look forward to it like a kid. I even think it is probably my favorite "holiday"! We all get together, eat hotdogs cooked over the fire; supplement the meal with chips; wolf down brownies for dessert; then finish off with roasted marshmallows! What a treat. This is the kind of meal you can only have around an open fire. All the fun of camping - except you get to sleep in your own bed when the party is over!

I want to thank Jake and Christy for making the trip from Fort Wayne, IN; Alissa, Drew and Nick for coming from Hopkinsville, KY; Nancy and Terry for making the drive from Lebanon Junction, KY; my dad and kids (Matt/Whitney & Natalie/David) for coming from Louisville; Doug and Kellie for coming from 7 minutes away :); and, Gary for putting up with my childish desires! I had a wonderful time! Thanks to all and save a weekend in September next year!
Chip, Shira and Aiva we missed you and hope Chip is healing nicely!
2007
Bob and Janet??
Ted, Jodi, Chris??
Wes??
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a wonderful time! We'll definitely do our best to make it next year. Your pictures look great--I just put all of mine up on Flickr. I'll be blogging about it tonight.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

We had fun! :) My pictures are up at flickr, too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natureofnatalie/

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neat way to post the pictures! It was a great event, and I'm already looking forward to next September!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home