Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Side Trip to Morehead City

First time we went to eat at the Sanitary Fish Market in Morehead City was on our honeymoon. Terry (brother-in-law extraordinaire) served in the Marines in NC and recommended it. Twenty years later in 1993 when we took a family vacation to NC, we stopped for lunch again (with Matt and Natalie). Last spring we returned to NC (sans Matt and Natalie) and ate there again. Only fitting that we should stop again this trip. I ordered the softshell crab sandwich and imagine my surprise when I received just that - 2 softshell crabs on a bun. It looked like they had been plucked from the beach, dropped in batter and tossed in a deep fryer. There they were in all their glory. It took me a minute to get up the nerve to eat them, but then I decided if I can eat camarones soup in Guatemala with roach-looking shrimp staring at me, then I can eat these poor little crabs. It was pretty tasty, but I'm not sure I'd order it again - just because of the way it looked!


After lunch, we walked the waterfront, which they appear to be refurbishing. There are several little souvenir shops and other restaurants. And, of course, lots of boats. It is a really pretty spot.

There are some fancy condos right along the marina. That is me sitting in front of said fancy condos on a very, very hot brick wall for a photo op! What was I thinking?? I couldn't get up fast enough! :) What some people won't do for a laugh! :D


Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Sanitary Fish Market is an odd name. It makes me think it's probably pretty clean, though.

Nice pictures. I was wondering when you might make an appearance.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just reminded me if the value of returning to a spot over and over again through the years...except for the sandwich!

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brother-in-law extraordinaire?! He appreciated it, though. He remembered the crab sandwich, too!

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 

Post a Comment

<< Home